Sunday, October 9, 2011

Engagement Dress

I love the 1950's! For our engagement pictures, we decided we wanted to do vintage pictures of different era's, so I made a dress. Not only does it LOOK vintage, but the pattern I used was from my grandma from when the dress was actually in style! How fabulous is that?! 
 As you can see from the pictures, it was a fairly simple dress. It has a zipper on the side to get in and out, which is actually quite tricky, especially since the pattern was missing sleeve pieces, and the sleeves I made were too long and skinny to slip in and out with ease.
The dress had a very wide neck, very simple, and I also sewed a few extra scraps to use as ribbons in my hair. 
The most time consuming part was probably the pleated skirt, although it really wasn't too difficult, except when I needed to size it down to fit my hips. All in all, not too bad. 
Also part of the pattern was a belt, which is super cute! you can see it slightly in this picture. It also wanted me to make a drapery to hang from the belt, but I was using cloth that was given to me, and I didn't have enough to make the drapery. 

Total time: about 20 hours
Total cost: since the fabric was free, just thread and the belt loops were purchased. under $5

No comments:

Post a Comment